How can you generate more interviews? What can you do? Luckily, our job seeker’s guide to more interviews — with your up-to-date tips is here!
So, let me guess… This is how you apply online for a job:
- You go to a job board, like Indeed or SimplyHired, and apply online.
- Then, you go to the company website, do a bunch of research, cross your fingers, and hope and pray that someone calls you for this dream job.
Sound about right?
So, listen, when you apply for a job online, you have less than a 2% chance of someone calling you back. Don’t spend your time revising your resume 1,000 times for each and every position you are applying for. When applying for a job online, you are competing with internal candidates and other very qualified executives.
There are other options that you can use instead of the click-apply game.
There is nothing wrong with applying online for a job, but do it the smart way. Some sites were created to eliminate the mind-numbing, time-wasting labor of filling out job applications with the same information over and over. Most of the time, you are uploading your resume, which contains the same exact information you already filled out. Here are just a few options that you can use to assist you in your job search:
- LaddersApply4Me – Enter your information at one time using their one click-apply. Then their team goes in and hand types your information for you. So, even with those coveted executive positions, it is a one-click application. It is a subscription service and has a limited number of times you can use the service each month, depending on your subscription. By using this service, it will pay off in time saved, interview invites, and new job opportunities.
- Networking with people you already know – The first place you want to look is in your own network. Before you apply online, reach out to the people that are already in your network. Some people feel fear or shame when reaching out to people they used to work with because maybe they have surpassed them in their careers. What you don’t want to do is reach out to people you haven’t communicated with for years and immediately ask, “is your company hiring?” Instead, re-kindle the relationship first. If you have been in your career for 10 years or more, I assure you there is someone in your network that can assist you in your job search. So, leverage technology like LinkedIn to make it easier for you to connect with someone from your past.
- LinkedIn – Use “Easy Apply” in LinkedIn to streamline the job application process so you can easily send out those job applications faster with just a few clicks without leaving the LinkedIn website. Sometimes to land your next role, you may have to send out 100 or more applications. A recent study showed that 94% of recruiters use LinkedIn to vet a job candidate. By using LinkedIn Easy Apply, you eliminate the tedious task of creating new accounts, filling out the job application forms, and uploading your resume for every position. This saves you time from having to do extra research and filling out those time-consuming applications.
- LinkedIn content strategy – There are millions of people on the LinkedIn network. Show your gifts and interests in the industry you find most intriguing. The first step in building your LinkedIn presence is to create posts geared toward your audience. Think of the content that you want to create and consider optimizing your content to showcase your knowledge or interest in that industry.
- Use the Inc 5000 list – This is the list of the fastest growing companies by overall revenue growth over a three-year period; search by company’s revenue or the projected growth in a certain industry. When you identify those companies, then jump over on LinkedIn to connect with the hiring managers.
Hope this guide was useful on how to best use these tools to your advantage in your job search. Companies cannot succeed without good support from all the people within them. To be successful in your growth, you will need the support of others as well. Get in touch with us today if you want to learn the strategies that thousands of our clients have learned and applied to land their dream job. Because success needs support! Listen to our podcast to learn more!